Sunday, June 14, 2009

Orientation!

This is it, we're officially Toledo Rockets and we've been introduced to Rocket life and we got our schedules. The day started off with us leaving at 5:30 IN THE MORNING! Then, after walking around chilly Toledo we found the Student Union (it didnt take us long at all, there were signs...) We found the orientation place then we both checked in, and got bags full of goodies (remember my goal is to get my $20,000 worth out of UT) So it started out at 8:30 with my honors college seminar, which sucked and was boring [Jon 0 Mike 1] but I found out that there's a unique opportunity for honors college students, they get to go to Italy for ten days! Its for a class and its not exactly cheap but its an option. after the honors thing I met back up with Mike at the main hall, then we had to sit through an orientation (which was boring) at our table there was a girl, who was an absolute witch to her mother, her mom was like "ok, then we can go to this (pointing to the schedule)" and the girl was like "get out of my face!" and then later she tried making her mom carry her bag, her complete disrespect for her mother was sickening and a little bit amusing. After the seminar we got to go to a large conference room where we got to play a "game". The people working the orientation asked our smaller group questions (there were six groups, R-O-C-K-E-T) if we got the question right, we got points, if we got it wrong the other team could steal it (you guys know how games work) so then they asked for a volunteer, someone else from my group went up and so did Mike and four other people, they played musical chairs and the girl from my table won (thats right, she beat Mike [Jon 1 Mike 1]) so then there were more questions, then they asked for another volunteer, MY TURN! This time, when all six of us got up there and they told us we had to dance like the opposite sex (so I had to dance like a girl, no problem) after deliberation, I was the decided winner [Jon 2 Mike 1]. Since I won I got a tattoo (and I texted Ally about it and she got mad, Im pretty sure she believed me for a good 3 minutes [Jon 1 Ally 0] but then she realized that it was impossible because Im in orientation [Jon 1 Ally 1]) so then we were released to the campus fair? (a whole bunch of tables set up for all of the schools clubs/activities/other random stuff) and I got animal crackers from the Rocket Wireless table [Jon 1 UT 0] Then Mike and I went down to the bookstore so I could apply, after which we went back to check out the tables, then we smelled it...lunch! when we were waiting in the buffet line we saw a sign for Cedar Point, Adult admission $35, Soak city admission $24, Combo pass, $67 ... ... (Think about it, 35+24=59, which is <67)> http://journals.utoledo.edu/kristopher/index.php/journey-in-south-africa-post-1/ ) he was a pretty cool guy. Then Mike and I split up, I went to engineering, he went to pharmacy. I had to ride a bus over to the engineering complex, then all the engineers met in the auditorium. I looked around...I was surrounded by geeks and nerds! but then the guy started calling certain majors out to schedule their classes and by the time engineering technology and civil engineering were called all the geeks were gone, then my group (the bioengineers) were the COOLEST people EVER! I found out that engineering has the best computer labs on campus and there's a special lounge, just for bioengineering students! after registering for classes (which was a very easy process we all got to do online) I got a bioengineering lanyard and a pin that says "Im a bioengineer-its ok to be jealous) On my way out I had to have my picture taken because they put pictures of all the engineering students in a huge showcase, and I had to answer a question (what is your dream job? I said garbageman because they only work one day per week but I think she only put garbageman...) and I got to nominate a teacher who had the most influence on me and my decision to be a BIOengineer (I cap'd that for a reason, you'll find out later) the teacher you nominate gets recognized by UT and the principal of the school also gets notified! then, out of the corner of my eye I saw a mini roller coaster! it was so cool! so I signed up for roller coaster team, which gets to go to multiple amusement parks and go behind the scenes! once back on the bus I had to wait for everyone to finish registering and to get on the bus, then we went back to the building we were in again, after getting my UT rocket card (with my picture on it) Mike and I had to go to another seminar, then we went to another one after that and we walked out because it was boring...we stopped by a Chipotle before heading home (big shout out to Mike, who DIDNT get a ticket this time [Jon 2 Mike 2])

Oh and my schedule, it gives me 10 minutes to get ACROSS CAMPUS in between classes, but when I have classes right down the hall from each other I have TWO HOURS! ...oh well

PS: Mike and I would greatly appreciate comments as they tell us whether or not we're doing a good job, thanks =] IM PUMPED FOR AUGUST

No comments:

Post a Comment